How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 26333
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own my house and have the deed for it. I am single and

This answer was rated:

I own my house and have the deed for it. I am single and although I have a daughter I do not want the house to legally go to her if something happens to me. Can I file a quit claim deed and add someone's name to it that I do want the house to go to if I die. And would that prevent my daughter from having any legal claim to it. And are there any pitfalls to doing this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The easiest thing to do, if you know who you do want your home to go to / pass to, is to simply create a will. In the will, you can clearly state and have language, that you do not want the home to pass to your daughter _____ and you want it to go to _____________. Moreover, any other assets which you have, can be devised as well and you can disclaim anyone else, who you do not want to take from your Estate. If you did not want to do that, you could file a deed and do a right of survivorship, with the other party who you want to take possession, assuming that they outlive you but if they do not, then you would be in the same position. Even if you add someones name to title, you would share an ownership interest with them and your daughter could still take your share upon passing.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That answers my questions. Thank you so much.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer and 8 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you