Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am forming a LLC. I wanted to know if I can put a home I

Customer Question

I am forming a LLC. I wanted to know if I can put a home I am buying with some 50%)ownership under the LLc to protect from possible unsecured debt from the past?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: yes illinois
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no the process is started but not completed yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: oh THE LLC will be a actual company .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you can purchase your home in the LLC to avoid judgment creditors or unsecured creditors seeking judgment and placing a lien on the home. In order to avoid them piercing the corporate veil on the LLC you need to make sure you follow all corporate formalities and do not commingle your personal and LLC assets.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.