Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I live in a fee simple townhouse community where water is

Customer Question

i live in a fee simple townhouse community where water is included in the hoa dues. if we get individiual metering system where each home owner is responsibly for their water usage, can the hoa turn off water for non payment.
live in ga.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: georgia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Assuming that you are not covered by the Condominium Act, then this issue is controlled by your CC&Rs and bylaws. If the Association is still paying the water bill from your fees after individual meters are installed, then yes they can cut the water off. Your recourse would be to review your CC&R and Bylaws and use any appeal process set forth therein.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer.