John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I rented a place in Utah for a week in October. i also

Customer Question

i rented a place in Utah for a week in October. i also bought cancellation insurance. the place i rented from said they don't do refunds, the insurance said they only honor refunds for certain reasons only. is this legal in utah
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no. we paid the rent in full
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we tried to cancel within 10 days of making reservation
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  John replied 11 days ago.

No, this is legal this is fraud in the inducement of contract along with the contract being one of adhesion. You should take the matter to court and sue the insurance company not only for breach of contract , for fraud and being a contract of adhesion (i.e., one that seeks to essentially trick the common person) and seek punitive damages against insurer.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.