Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My husband and I have been separated for 2 years. We are

My husband and I have been separated for 2 years. We are still negotiating divorce terms. He wants to buy a house and is asking for a interspousal deed. The loan would be in his name only. Could i ever be held liable for his loan?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: you mean the separation papers?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The loan would be in his name only. Could i ever be held liable for his loan?

.

No, as long as you never sign a Promissory Note and deed of trust, then you can't be held liable. The Promissory Note determines who has to repay a loan and if you don't sign it, you can not be held liable..

,

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. Just make sure you NEVER sign the Promissory Note....

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You very much

Thanks very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!

.

Have a great evening!