LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I have a question about an apartment move out question,

Customer Question

Hi I have a question about an apartment move out question
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Grand Prairie, Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: filed where?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Move out cleaning carpet charges
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What would you like to know?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I moves out of an apartment complex. They sent me additional charges after my move out. Specifically carpet cleaning charges. Is this legal to pass this cost on to me?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Carpet cleaning charges are extremely common and if you did not have the carpets cleaned when you moved out, then under Texas law, the landlord has the right to have them cleaned and to ask you to pay the cost of cleaning if they do not simply take the cost of the cleaning from your security deposit. But yes, it is normal that carpets must be cleaned when you move out and if you don't do it yourself, then the landlord may do so and send you the bill for the cleaning

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cleaned the apartment thoroughly myself but not professionally cleaned. Do I have to have professionally cleaned? A high definition video was taken showing the apartment extremely clean top to bottom. My lease was for two years and I left the apartment just as how I moved in with a few minor wear and tear use that was all.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

No, if you used a carpet shampooer or steam cleaner to clean the carpets then you did what you needed to do. But if you did nothing more than vacuum, then the landlord had the right to have the carpets cleaned. But you were not obligated to have the carpets professionally cleaned.

Please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already, and because I am an independent site expert and not a site employee, it is the only way I am paid for answering your questions. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you the best in the New Year!

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug