Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I am thinking of writing off the remaining balance of a land

Customer Question

I am thinking of writing off the remaining balance of a land contrack and wonder if the tax must be paid up to day of sale if I just give the house to the present buyer.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

I am not sure exactly what kind of tax you are speaking of. Please explain your concerns in more detail and I'll try to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the property tax and it has been paid for the summer tax winter tax will be in December

Is the present buyer under the land contract responsible for paying the taxes? If so, and you simply deed the property to the buyer, he will be responsible for any and all taxes that have accrued. If you are responsible for real estate taxes, then you would pay so much of the prorated year up through the date of the deed.Typically, real estate taxes are pro-rated through the date of closing.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.