Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I own two houses one in New York and one in Pennsylvania in

Customer Question

I own two houses one in New York and one in Pennsylvania in 2010 I left New York and moved into the house in Pennsylvania I then filed bankruptcy and remained in the house in Pennsylvania my ex-husband remained in New York has not been making the payments on the house the New York house was put down on my bankruptcy but I still get the bill every month and he hasn't made a payment in about a year I've been making the payments on the house in Pennsylvania his name is ***** ***** the house but it is on the note I was told I could sell the house in Pennsylvania the and I'm still on the note even if I filed bankruptcy I don't know if that release me from that obligation what are my rights in the house in Pennsylvania can I sell it and will I still be liable for the notes once that house goes into foreclosure in New York hope you could help me thank you
JA: Sorry. What is her name?
Customer: Pauline Hale
JA: Pauline Hale
Customer: Pauline Hale
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I'm living in Pennsylvania
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: On what house
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you did not put PA house into the bankruptcy then you can sell it since it is only in your name. What matters is whose name is ***** ***** deed, not the note. As far as the NY house if that was in bankruptcy, then you would not be liable for that note any longer. If you sell the PA house and pay the mortgage off then you would be clear.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.