Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am the seller of a vacant lot located in Atlanta, Fulton

Customer Question

I am the seller of a vacant lot located in Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia. I have entered into a seller purchaser agreement, which has been revised; however, the revisions have not been incorporated into the agreement. This is a cash transaction in that under the agreement the buyer is required to pay the full cost for the property.My question is in this situation the closing attorney (who the real estate broker selected) who does the closing attorney represent>
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

My question is in this situation the closing attorney (who the real estate broker selected) who does the closing attorney represent>

.

The closing attorney's client is whoever hired him to conduct the real estate closing and that is who his duty is to. So if the broker hired him, the broker is his client and that is who he has a fiduciary and confidential duty to.

.

With that said, if the revisions haven't been put into writing in the contract, then they don't mean anything legally and can't be enforced. So if the revisions are in your favor, you would want to refuse to close until they are memorialized in writing because verbal promises mean nothing in a real estate transaction.

.

As an aside, I used to be a closing attorney for 4 different lenders..

.

.

thanks