How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are planning on doing our will, and in getting

Customer Question

My wife and I are planning on doing our will, and in getting our paperwork in line, we got a copy of the deed to the property we own in El Centro, CA. Our brother has been living there for over 30 years, and we have not charged rent, just had him keep up with maintenance & expenses. We see that our brother fraudulently transferred the deed to his name while we were still living overseas in 1988. Do we have any recourse to take this piece of family property back? The brother has been paying the taxes (under $500/year).
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good morning Rudy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle real estate law.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $9 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How did he fraudulently get a deed in his name?

2. Was the deed in your name and your wife's name?

3. Was there ever a contract to sell the property to your brother?

4. Have you been paying a mortgage on the property during any of this 30 years?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.


I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.


Related Real Estate Law Questions