Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am renting have a written lease agreement with a lease

Customer Question

I am renting have a written lease agreement with a lease company in Amarillo. I received notice that I must start paying my rent on-line, which will cost $2.50. or be charged $10.00 to continue to pay by check as I have for the past 2.5 years. I have always paid at least 2 weeks in advance and NEVER a bad check. Its like I'm being charged for being a good tenant and paying rent on time. Can they do this legally.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No. Unless the contract specifically mandates that the payment is made online, OR, it gives them the right to decide which way a payment is made, they cannot do this. I am going to assume the contract does neither. If so, then payment may be made whichever way is customary - cash, check, credit, etc.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).