Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I let my daughter and her family move in the house next door

Customer Question

I let my daughter and her family move in the house next door to me with no rent. I do make them pay the taxes. Can they sell the house without my permission? They have lived there 22 years.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: West Virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have a beat-up truck in the front yard next to the road and are blocking the view of the neighbor next door in pulling oujt of their driveway and refuse to do anything about it. It has been there almost 4 years.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can they sell the house without my permission?

.

No, they are tenants living there with your permission no matter how long they live there. Tenants do not gain any legal rights to the property other than the right to live there until the owner terminates their tenancy. They do not gain any ownership rights so couldn't sell to anyone else..

.

As for the truck, as the owner and their landlord, you can send them a written 30 day notice to remove the truck or you will terminate the tenancy and evict. If they fail to do so, then it would be up to you whether to follow through or not..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks