Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Our landlord allowed a plumber in while we were gone for two

Customer Question

Our landlord allowed a plumber in while we were gone for two days. The plumber did not turn off the hot water in the bathtub and apartment flooded water damage from ceiling to floor.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: They forced us to get our things out which were ruined like mattress , dresser, provided no place to live. OUr rent is paid. CA
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no this was two days ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is costing $200 a day to live somewhere else and story my things
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They wont answer the phone
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am sorry to hear that you landlord hired an incompetent plumber who caused this mess..

.

Since the plumber was the agent of the landlord, it is the landlord who is liable to you for any of your damages, including hotel stays, clean up costs, and damage to personal property.

.

If the landlord or their insurer doesn't reimburse you for your damages, then your recourse here is to file suit in small claims court for up to $10,000 to be compensated for their negligence. So keep good records of what you have spent money on, like eating out, hotel costs, storage costs and itemized lists of any damaged property for use as evidence if this ends up in court.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have the money to put out to stay out ... they have our security deposit etc
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Arent' they responsible?

Arent' they responsible?

.

Absolutely... just like I said... but if they won't take care of things voluntarily, the only way to force them to do so is by suing them...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if I don't have the money to pay to stay somewhere and store my things then what ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can't you write a letter to them demanding that they write a check for the housing expense now

Then about the only thing I can think of is to see if you can stay with friends or family.. You can't really do something like take a baseball bat over to the landlord and threaten him if he won't give you money to pay for your damages...

.

Sure, you can send them a letter, but they will likely ignore it if they are ignoring your calls. If you mean me, then no, I am not your attorney and don't represent customers from the site. You would have to have a local attorney send the letter. But again, that may not scare them into paying if they simply ignore it..