How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 8716
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a deposit dispute with the property management

Customer Question

i have a deposit dispute with the property management company.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: in eastvale california. riverside county
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no. but i sent them a certified letter disputing their extra charges
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. while moving out, i paid to have the house cleaned, and repairs done. and carpet cleaned. and they are refusing to give back deposit and tacked on additional charges for wear and tear
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

what is your question please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the property management company responded to my certified letter by saying they forwarded it to their attorney and that a "judge may need to sort this out." i have not recived any additional response or my deposit. we moved out on 10/31/16.
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this; that is a long time to wait for a deposit;

so if the landlord (LL) unreasonably withholds a deposit, the tenant can bring a small claims action - appropriate for cases under $10,000:

That packet is here

The LL can only deduct for damages to the unit; NOT for ordinary wear and tear.

This explains what constitutes wear and tear - for which there cannot be a deduction

so for example, they can't charge for smudges on walls, but they can charge for large holes; they can't charge for normal wear on a carpet, but they can charge for burns.

The relevant code is here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

I will be out of the office for the next several days on a personal leave; if you have any questions on the above please post here today and I will respond; otherwise I will respond as soon as I return.

It has been a pleasure to assist. If the information has been useful kindly rate positive so the site may credit my account for my time spent assisting you. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions