Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in a condo and I might add have had five surgeries on

Customer Question

Hi. I live in a condo and I might add have had five surgeries on my left leg and one on my right. My neighbors are elderly and are leaving chairs that have legs that stick out in the walk way to my car in the garage. There are also plastic tubs for recycling in the walkway, but they do not have legs that can get caught in your jeans or slacks hem and cause you to fall. The recycling tubs are not the problem. After I fell I asked the neighbor to Please move the chairs, and they didn't so I put them by the side of their car that did not prevent them from getting in and out of the car. Today I left a note on one of the chairs and asked them to please move the chairs to they would not be unsafe. To add to this, the garage light did not come on the night I came and fell until I got right next to the garage door, and I had fallen before that. Now the people are saying it is elder abuse to have to move their chairs. I thought laws of ingress and egress controlle could be put in the garage path to your car. Please reply an thank you.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Iowa in acondo
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have kept notes and mentioned them above. today I went to an attorney and have an appointment with them tomorrow. I have told the condo owner about this and he told the people who won't move the chairs that they could put their chairs in the empty parking space next to them and the guy whose space it is and never uses it said they could too since his truck is too big for the space. I might add as an afterthought that these people hate me since I am not their political party. Thank you.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Their latest ploy is that they are elderly and need the chairs to get things out of their car and that I would be causing elder abuse to ask that the chairs be moved. I read my condo policy and found some policy that seemed related in it but was rather vague until I came to egress and ingress. The neighbors know I live in my dad's condo and that he has money but I pay the fees. they have made a number of snide comments about me living in the condo and I am at least 9 or years younger than most of them and very active. I mostly stay out of their way and do my own business. I have mostly been ostracized since they know I am a different political party, but that doesn't mean a hoot to me. Today they said they would sue me not my dad for a water leak I had from a malfunction in the clothes washer. sorry if I have digressed too much. they have told me that they get people out if they don't like them and my dad has owned his condo the longest. Thankyou.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this; so to be clear, the chairs are being placed in a common area of the association, would that be correct? or is it actually on your property?