Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My mother died 5 years ago and I am the Trustee. I fell

Customer Question

My mother died 5 years ago and I am the Trustee. I fell behind with the taxes and I can not get any loans on my current home because my ex husband has defaulted on our marital properties equity loan. The judge has granted me the time to get legal advice. I can not find a lawyer, nor afford one at the prices I have been quoted. Is there anyway that I can keep the property or find legal assistance?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, IL.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: In reference to what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a will for my mother.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately there is some bad news for you regarding this matter. If you cannot pay the taxes on the property, then legally there is nothing you can do other than asking the tax collector if they will give you a payment plan to pay them off. If they will not give you a payment plan, then they have to auction off the property by state law, they do not have a choice. The only thing you can try to do, if you want to get the property back, is find someone you trust who has the money to bid on the house and buy it at tax sale and hold it until you can get on your feet again and sell it back to you. Other than doing something like that, I am afraid that there is nothing more to do if you cannot pay the tax debt because the government makes the laws and they protect themselves before they protect anyone else.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.