Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

The manager of a house I leased over a year ago is trying to

Customer Question

The manager of a house I leased over a year ago is trying to make me remove leaves from the yard or she threatens to have them removed and take the money from my $1300.00 deposit. I gave 30 day notice of moving and left the house on December 31st. She was not in town until January 2nd and we met for the walk through. The electricity was off because I had requested it for the end of the month. She was unable to see the house and said we would walk through after she had the lights cut on. She went by herself and I was left out of the inspection.Now she wants to keep my deposit to get the leaves removed and has taken my key and I have no access to property.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colonial Heights, Virginia.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. We just moved out 12/31.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She claims to be the property manager,but the owner refuses to discuss anything about the lease or property.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Was there anything in the lease about you having to remove leaves from the property?

.

Did you maintain the yard and do things like cut the grass yourself?

.

.

thanks