Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I signed a 6 month lease to rent a nail station from a salon

Customer Question

I signed a 6 month lease to rent a nail station from a salon at $100 per week. Unfortunately, I was unable to move my stuff in and start doing business in her salon but because I signed a lease she is charging me $400 for breaking the lease, which I am ok with but she's also charging me an additional $400 for the 4 weeks that I was not there, essentially from my start date to the date I wrote her a letter stating I was breaking the lease. I never realized she could legally charge me if I never actually physically moved my equipment into her salon and started doing business and no where that I can find does it state that in her lease agreement that I signed, it's all based on me actually doing business in the salon and physically being there, which I never was.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I understand that you had to break a lease with the landlord and that they are trying to charge you some amount for rent..

.

But I don't see your actual legal question...

.

If you can post your legal question, then I will do my best to help..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess that would help, wouldn't it? :) I just need to know if she has any legal recourse to get that $400 in rent money from me if I never physically moved my equipment into her salon and started doing business?

No worries...

.

If you signed a written lease contract then whatever date was specified in that lease contract is the date your rent starts, whether you move in or not.. As of that start date, you have a legal right to use and possession of that leased premises. Whether you choose to move in at all or not is up to you, but your rent starts as of the start date of the lease.

.

The only way you wouldn't be liable would be if the space was not available or was being used by someone else.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks much

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ya that's not what I wanted to hear but at least I know where I stand. :) Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome. Glad to help even though the news was kind of lousy..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a great evening!