AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I closed on my mobile home Oct 29,2016. The park manager

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I closed on my mobile home Oct 29,2016. The park manager still refuses to give a land lease to sign, and park rules and regulations. i moved in with park approval. I paid the land lease for Nov. and Dec even withouta lease signed. Today he thru my lease check back at me and said he's not taking it. He already cashed 2 months. Recently he asked me to give him $2500.00 deposit and will not let me sign my lease The mamagement company asked me to just sign the lease to finish my application process. They mentioned no money needed. Luke is threatening me to Evict me for not paying my rent or signing the lease when he's holding it from me. Is this Legal? What should I do?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm sorry, Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, that's just it, I heard nothing from him for 2 months, now he's threatening me. Was I right in paying the land lease anyway?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm a disabled senior, and this is causing me alot of distress. I now have put the house back up for sale, don't even want to be here anymore.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 21 days ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So the mobile home is located in the park already? Did you ever see a copy of the land lease before you bought the mobile home, and without seeing a lease, how did you know that the you needed to pay a $2500 deposit? It sounds like you have a verbal contract at a minimum, and because he cashed your check, you might be able to force him to perform his side of the contract, but you would have to know with reasonable certainty what the terms of the contract are supposed to be. Does that make sense? If you could answer my questions and clarify a bit more, I could help you better.