ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

What is "first right to refusal" means in real estate deals,

Customer Question

what is "first right to refusal" means in real estate deals, such as a rental lease? a case as: a tenant wants to buy the house in the future he is to rent, the owner would use the term of "first right to refusal", but what does it really mean and how to work?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

A right of first refusal means that the person who is to benefit from the right (the tenant) would be presented with a deal made with a third party and have the option to take it. So basically the owner (landlord) of the property wants to sell, puts it on the market and comes up with a contract with a third party. The landlord then takes it to the tenant, and if the tenant can match all the terms of the offer, the tenant gets the property on those terms. But it's "all or nothing", meaning that the tenant has to accept all the terms of the contract. If even one is not acceptable to the tenant, then the offer goes to that third party and the tenant doesn't get the property. But assuming that the tenant can match the terms, the tenant gets it, not the third party.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate this answer?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~55 MINUTES) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

q

Are you able to see on your screen where you need to rate this?

I see that you still have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Again, I'm still waiting for you...

Hello?

Again, I need you to rate the answer on your screen. Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it?