Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Chase charged property off to me in my name. I married this

Customer Question

Chase charged property off to me in my name. I married this person and since divorce them but they are trying to say the property belongs to them. They refuse to leave. I asked the Bank to take the property back and evict both of us and they won't do it. I don't want to walk away from property that I am going to be held liable for. This man is a bully. Is there anything I can do. I am in Missouri. Chase bank won't take the property back
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not that I know Of. I went to the County and they said if this person forges a deed and transfer it to their name. There is nothing I can do but take them to court for forgery. He keeps saying he is smarter than me and he has take action to keep me from putting the property up for sale
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Even if Chase charged off the loan that does not mean you do not still own the property. Ownership of the property is based on the names on the deed itself, not on the mortgage. However, if Chase charged the loan against you off, that just means they will not pursue you, but they could legally turn it to a debt collector to pursue you and there are junk debt buyers who pursue these types of loans. So legally you still own the property and legally are ultimately still liable for the loan if Chase turns it over to a junk debt collector.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.