Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My landlord keeps stealing my mail. I do not have him on

Customer Question

My landlord keeps stealing my mail. I do not have him on camera doing it but he is the only person with the keys to the mailbox and mail keeps dissapearing. the postal inspectors file complaints but that is not stopping him from stealing the mail. he keeps saying to file a report if we dont like it because he knows that he is getting away with it. is there anything else i can do ?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have taken the first step by filing a complaint with the US Postal Inspector's Office, because stealing mail is a federal crime punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison. If you have filed the complaints and they are not able to prove it is your landlord, but he is the only other person with keys, then the next step is you can file a civil suit against him for conversion (civil suit for taking your mail) and for breach of lease as his conduct is violating your right to peaceable use of the premises. You can seek money damages for the harm him taking your mail has caused and an injunction requiring him to stop and allowing you to change the keys on the mail box. Additionally, in the meantime you need to consider getting a wireless video camera and putting it on the box so you can try to catch him in the act which would make the postal inspectors take notice.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
thank you. he has a camera in the hallway directly aimed at the box, but i fear if i put one he will steal that too...i stopped most mail from coming here but i purposely allowed a trackable package to be delivered here. is it illegal for me to just change the mailbox lock?

Thank you for your reply.

Your lease makes it a violation to change the lock without post office and landlord's consent. They do make some cameras that can be hidden so he cannot find them. Also, you need to talk to the postal inspector about getting his video if he has cameras up.