Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

I have proper Doctor's documents for my ESA-my landlord

Customer Question

I have proper Doctor's documents for my ESA-my landlord states that I now need to accommodate them by paying in advance non refundable money in an amount sufficient to pay to clean and sanitize the HVAC system and to have the entire apartment professionally cleaned before I bring the animal on the premises-until they provide a written estimate by a licensed cleaning contractor-my animal can not be on the premises.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

"I have proper Doctor's documents for my ESA-my landlord states that I now need to accommodate them by paying in advance non refundable money in an amount sufficient to pay to clean and sanitize the HVAC system and to have the entire apartment professionally cleaned before I bring the animal on the premises-until they provide a written estimate by a licensed cleaning contractor-my animal can not be on the premises."

Just to clarify are you already in living in the leased premises?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am living on the leased premises.

I have to tell you that I was saddened to read your question. Why does the landlord want everything cleaned prior or does he just want the money?

Reasonable accommodations for you. What you have described is unreasonable. He needs to agree with your request and not create undue hardships for you as he is doing in demands. Therefore he is refusing to accommodate.

You have several options for filing a complaint:

You can file a discrimination complaint electronically with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Information about the process is located on this HUD webpage.

You can print and complete the HUD Discrimination Form and mail it to the appropriate HUD office.

States have a government agency that investigates discrimination claims. You can also file a complaint directly with your state’s agency.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/assistance-animals-tenants-rights.html

Give me one moment to provide the links for you. Further, your landlord is prohibited from retaliating against you for exercising your legal rights.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. You do not need to provide a negative rating for a refund.

Thank you for using JA!

Do you have any additional questions for me?