Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am a landlord in New Jersey. My rental property's furnace

Customer Question

Hi, I am a landlord in New Jersey. My rental property's furnace broke down today and the tenants reported such today. I have make appt for a repair person to give estimate to have it replaced. However, the tenants insist I pay hotel cost while the furnace is replaced, and refused using brand new space heaters I purchase for them. What is my legal option?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: none Only notice via text messages
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it for now
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

However, the tenants insist I pay hotel cost while the furnace is replaced, and refused using brand new space heaters I purchase for them. What is my legal option?

.

You as the landlord just have a legal duty to provide adequate heating to the property, but there is no law that says how you have to do it. So if you can adequately heat the property with space heaters, then that is entirely legal and permissible.

.

The tenant just sounds like they want a free hotel stay for a few days, but you only have to put them up in a hotel if you can't provide adequate heating in the property. You can tell the tenant that you are meeting your legal duty by providing alternate sources to heat the dwelling and if they want to stay in a hotel, they do so at their own expense.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks