Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

Where can I find building dimensions for NYC properties

Customer Question

Where can I find building dimensions for NYC properties online? Property shark has them but its a paid service. Tax maps and zola only has lot sizes and number of stories. I want to find a place that gives me building dimensions. I don't think ACRIS provides that information either, and BIS also doesn't seem to. Where can I find this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

In New York City the Office of the County Clerk maintains all information on lots, ownership and dimensions among other recorded records. You would contact them at http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property-data-and-lot-information.page

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property-assessments.page

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. You do not need to provide a negative rating for a refund.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively.Thank you for your consideration. Please me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am looking for a link that provides building dimension information online. Propertyshark.com is one such site that provides building size dimension on any building in NYC. However, this is a paid site. The site is obviously pulling the information from a publicly available source. That is what I am looking for - a publicly available website source that lists the building dimension size on any land. Do you know of such a site?

The only site that is guaranteed to be correct (and even the government makes mistakes) is going to the Clerks Office. They actually do have much of this information online for free. You just need to be a user in the their system. Propertyshark uses the same system they just charge you a premium.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is this free information available? I haven't been able to locate it. I know that it is certainly available otherwise sites like PropertyShark wouldn't have it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Take a random address***** brooklyn, ny. Where is the building size information available?

Agreed. Propertyshark gets it directly from the State government. They charge you a premium, however you can contact the Clerk directly to gain access for free.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
An online user of what site? The link you sent is for property tax data that lists name of property owner and tax assessment - i don't see building size information
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ACRIS and property tax pages don't show building sizes unless it's there somewhere but I haven't found it

Please contact the Clerk you can access the same PUBLIC records as Propertyshark without paying them a premium.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to find an online source. I can't contact the clerk when I am looking at 35 properties a day

You can gain access to the site http://http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/CP/. It has a FREE trial. Otherwise there are no sites anywhere on the web that provide this information for FREE. PropertyShark is accessing the same public records you can access online. Otherwise you would need to physically go to the City to access the information for FREE. Anything done over the internet is fee based. You can be set up with a FREE trial to see what Propertyshark is seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been a propertyshark subscriber for several months. I know what they are seeing. And everything I see there is available for free elsewhere. The only thing I have thus far been unable to locate is building size information. So obviously I know there is information publicly and freely available to see this since they are mining it. My question is where are they mining it from?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is an example that I pulled from their site. Where are they getting building dimension size.

They are mining ot though the State as they are the source of the information. That is how title companies search deeds and property records. This information comes from the government documents that collects the data.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you know where exactly that data is because I cannot find it

It comes through the tax assessors office. They base taxes on, among other qualifiers, property dimensions. If you contact them they can tell you how to access the documents that you may not be seeing. When you do this online (after a free trial) you will pay a fee just as you do with propertyshark and the other similar sites. The only reason there is a fee is because of the continual updating of information for access over the internet. In person this would be FREE.

I wish there was a sit I could give you for FREE. As an Attorney I too pay a fee for accessing this type of information unless I am in the area and want to go though the records in person.

In the not to distance past we no online access an had to go to the Assessor for this information. Deeds were not available online, you need to go to the recorder's office. We have come a long way from when I started out as a new Attorney.

Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you direct me to the government site that I can subscribe to and receive this data - I am not finding any links to sign up and receive any additional information
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tax assessment site - http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property-assessments.page - doesn't seem to have any paid access area where I can get additional information
You want to speak to the clerk
They are not available now. One way or another if you are looking at many properties you will pay a fee.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I understand what your saying - I must speak to a clerk who will provide me to a link online where I can signup and pay a fee and see that information and that link is not available until I speak to a clerk

If you are not finding the link they can assist you. Anyone that provides this type of information online gets the information directly from the government entity that takes in the information on every property to determine property taxes, assessments, ownership, liens etc. The title companies, realtors and other services get their information from the government. Not all that long ago we had to physically pull all of the files from the treasurer, assessor and court clerks. It was time consuming and expensive. Any public information site received their information from the government entity keeping the records. You would need to check every state for their records to get a background check. I hope that makes sense. There are very few counties and major cities that are not updated this way and sites that offer their information need to physically pull the records. I cannot tell you how many times I would go to the recorders' office to pull up a chain of title or receive information from the court clerks. I am happy those days are gone. Thank you for using JA. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Are you still with me?