WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I am wondering the zoning code laws regarding operating a

Customer Question

i am wondering the zoning code laws regarding operating a business from my home. specifically, renting office space. like what airbnb does with bedrooms, but with desks and chairs. i want to do this both in my home which is zoned R1, and in our garage. i'm wondering also if there are differences in regulations for my garage compared to the residence itself. can i have people use the garage as an office? can i rent space in my garage as storage for someone else's business? also, what are the laws if i operate a food business from my garage, such as juicing fruits and vegetables and selling them. what are the sanitation laws etc? also, does liability insurance for home based businesses cover garage uses for business? these are some of my questions :-)
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Not for this question, but they might if you need additional services. You'll have to ask the Lawyer about that. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: los angeles, california
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 3 months ago.

Under California law, there is no difference between what you do in your house and in your garage. I would suggest that you check with the Los Angeles City planning department to see if there are any restrictions against using your home to run a business. Here is the contact information. You will have to give the specific location of your home, and then the city planner can tell you what is permitted and what is not:

http://planning.lacity.org/

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.