Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

My home insurance company sent me a request for the age and

Customer Question

My home insurance company sent me a request for the age and condition of my roof. do I have to respond?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 4 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Are you wanting the roof to be covered by the insurance company?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not file a claim. The insurance company sent me a request for information about my roof. My policy renews in April. I hope my roof is included in my coverage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a questionnaire. Am I required to reply. My roof is old. I did have an issue that I did not claim in the Spring. I had a company put a seal on the roof to extend the life and I want to sell the house in 2017. I don't think it's in my best interest to replace the roof before I sell.

Thank you for the clarification. You already have the insurance and you have complete coverage and in order for them to renew your policy they are requesting information on the roof. They can deny the policy if you do not comply. This links sets out their rights' and your rights' http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/consumer/ocs/documents/roofcoverage.pdf

That being said have there been any issues with the roof that were repaired or that a visable?

The insurance companies have tricks to raise premiums is for the company to claim the roof is too old or demand repairs. Anyway they can increase or modify your policy within the law they will use including refusing to renew based on the condition of the home.

The Ohio Department of Insurance regulates insurance in the State and is able to answer any questions that you may have at https://insurance.ohio.gov/Legal/Rules/Pages/RulesIndex.aspx

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. You do not need to provide a negative rating for a refund.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had a leak where the second floor dormer is attached. I had an estimate to replace that section of the roof, but I could not afford to get if fixed in spring. I had a company come and do a roof tune up and seal the leak. This was March 2016. My current insurer is Westfield. I was thinking I won't respond and change to another company before the policy renews. I'm worried they will make demands before I sell the house and I must have insurance because I have a mortgage.

That is what I suspected as no one would have an issue disclosing facts about their roof if there were no issues. Roofs can really take a beating over time as well. We all get concerned when we are in a situation similar to yours. You can certainly look into other companies and policies and not respond. Just be prepared that they probably won't renew the policy without roof information and you don't want to provide false information.

When there is a mortgage involved the lender retains the right to purchase insurance on your behalf if the become aware that you are not insured and the policy they pick would be expensive.

The site will not credit the Attorneys for their work unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration.

Please ignore the additional premium service request. Thank you. If you are unhappy with my service please let me know and I will opt out.