Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Both my husband and I are on the deed to our property. He

Both my husband and I are on the deed to our property. He paid for the house in cash, and has now hid the deed from me. We are living together in the house but we aren't together. I'm trying to register our kids for school & he's refusing to give me the deed stating that it's not in the house. My questions are is it legal for him to hide the deed even if he paid for the house but both names are ***** ***** deed? Also can my name be taken off the title or deed without my consent? Last can he add someone to the deed without my consent?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I don't know, he's been very sneaky lately.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

My questions are is it legal for him to hide the deed even if he paid for the house but both names are ***** ***** deed?

Yes. Or rather, nothing states that he has to give you a copy of the deed, even if you are joint owners and husband and wife. However, all someone in your situation has to do is go down to the county records office and get another copy. If you tell me what county the property is in, I can tell you the address.

Also can my name be taken off the title or deed without my consent?

No.

Last can he add someone to the deed without my consent?

He owns half of the property, I am guessing. If so, he can covey (give away) part or all of his interest - yes. But not your half.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know where the county office is already. Thank you!
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!