Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My neighbor has a cement wall that is on her property but

Customer Question

My neighbor has a cement wall that is on her property but directly to the edge of the property line; the cement wall defines the property line. I installed an electrical circuit box that powers a pump on my side of the cement wall. She is asking me to remove it claiming the wall is her property. Do I have any legal rights in this matter?
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you determined who originally erected the wall?

.

And the wall is on the property line, but not over it on your land, correct?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
She originally erected the wall and it is not over on my land. Do I own my side of the wall if it is directly on the property line?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 days ago.

Ok, then unfortunately, it is considered her personal property and you couldn't do anything to it, even paint it, without her permission or she could sue you for damage to her personal property.

.

So I hate to say it, because she is being a jerk, but you would have to remove the electrical box if she won't let you keep it on the wall.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks