WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I have a situation where I purchased a parcel of land with a

Customer Question

I have a situation where I purchased a parcel of land with a delinquent tax lien. The property was totally destroyed inside by fire and the front and back door burned off and replaced with boards.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 6606 E 96th Terr. Kansas City Missouri
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: They want to know when the property was burned. They said they would investigate it and to take pictures and see them in court December 6 for a decision.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well I talked to a neighbor she said the house has been sitting like that for 5 years, and they charged me $15,000 for it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 12 days ago.

You should contact the fire department in Kansas City who can give you a report of the fire response call to that property and any subsequent investigation that the fire department made. If the seller of the property misrepresented the condition of the property or defrauded you, then you have a claim to get your money back.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I BOUGHT THE PROPERTY ON THE COURT HOUSE STEPS. THEY AUCTION OFF PROPERTY FOR TAXES OWED ON THE PROPERTY.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 9 days ago.

Then your only recourse is to sue the city that sold you the property and request damages or your money back. You can't go after the orignal owner in this case, since the property was forclosed. You may get some recovery from the city, and I think you will.