INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

My aunt has civil penality on her property and owes 101,000.

Customer Question

Hello, my aunt has civil penality on her property and owes 101,000. We were trying to sell the property but i just found out that we couldnt sell the property because this issue hasnt been resolved. My aunt feels like she is not responsible for paying because her tenant living in the property at that time was responsible for the problem. Now, the king county had passed this issue onto the collections agency. My aunt is 80 years old and does not have that amount of money to take care of this concern. My aunt's POA, my mother, thinks she shouldnt pay and foreclose the property. What would happen if she doesnt pay for the penalty in the collections agency? Would they garnish her wage such as her pension or her other paid off property she currently lives in?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 days ago.

If there is a debt obligation and its not resolved and there is a lien, on sale, the debt would be repaid to the creditor first before proceeds are paid to the title holders.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 days ago.

Is that clear and acceptable? can I clarify anything else?

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 days ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars. Happy holidays, and if I can follow up on anything, reply and ask me.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 days ago.

Thanks in advance.