Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

Can you discharge a bb gun within the city limits of

Customer Question

Can you discharge a bb gun within the city limits of Lubbock, texas?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I am wondering if I can target shoot a bb gun. Back yard is fenced all the way around 6' high. about 50' x 50'
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: who do I need to contact for approval, if needed?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 9 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Texas Local Government Code § 229.002. Regulation of Discharge of Weapon

A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property;  and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;  or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property;  and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/local-government-code/loc-gov-t-sect-229-002.html#sthash.2PkDnPFO.dpuf

How large is your tract of land?

You can shoot a BB gun if the land is 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from an occupied building.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. Thank you for using JA. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.