Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I was just looking into the exact procedures to claim excess

Customer Question

I was just looking into the exact procedures to claim excess proceeds from a tax sale that my husband and 11 others inherited. I know I have to file a petition, but I don't exactly know what to do from there.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Kaufman, Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a petition in the court and serve the tax collector's office who sold the property in the tax sale. Once you serve the tax collector, the matter will proceed to court. You will need to prove to the court you are the legal heirs of the property so you can collect the funds.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
There are 11 others that are listed on the original petition of the sale, one of which is deceased. Will I have to contact them as well?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, all of them, including the estate of the deceased heir, will have to be joined on the petition and will have to be plaintiffs. You can also simplify this greatly if you use a local attorney to represent everyone, because if you do not use an attorney, then all 11 of the plaintiffs will have to appear in court and represent themselves.