TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

160 acres undivided 1/2 interest in all 160, none of it

Customer Question

160 acres undivided 1/2 interest in all 160, none of it surveyed. one guy has 80,then one guy has 30, one guy has 50 of the other 80. all in Louisiana. Who controls whats happens out there. the guy with 80 leases it for hunting, the others just want to hunt it. who decides what happens.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again.

Since each owner has an undivided interest, each has full use of the entire 160. This means that each may do with the property what he wishes. If he wants to hunt, then that is acceptable. If another wants to lease the property to others, then that is fine, but his lease may not encroach upon the rights of the others. For example, the owner who wants to lease may not give exclusive possession of the property since that encroaches on the rights of the other owners to use the property.

If any of the owners do not like how the other owners are using the property, and they cannot work out an agreement among themselves, then they can sell the property. If they can't agree to sell, then one of the owners can file a partition lawsuit, and a judge will order the sale of the property.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)