Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in Nj..I am a renting an apt for 8 years...I had a

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Nj..I am a renting an apt for 8 years...I had a lease..but now in last few years there is no lease...I am moving because the owners sister who lives downstairs in this two family house has mental issues...and told me that the landlord is selling the house real soon..and just her illness is making me and my sons feel unsafe...I need to know...how many days do I need to give notice on a move
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: with who
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to give 30 days written notice if you no longer have a written lease and you are now a month to month tenant UNLESS your previous lease specified another notice period, because even if that lease is expired and that means you can cancel at any time, the notice period for cancellation in that lease would still apply and if it is more than 30 days you need to comply with that notice period. If there is no notice period in the lease, 30 days written notice is all that is necessary.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.