Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

What are Section 8 requirements regarding timing for repair

Customer Question

What are Section 8 requirements regarding timing for repair of a non functioning stove?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Houston Texas.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. tenant contacted me this morning and I tried to find someone to address issue, but everyone I know to use is shutdown till Monday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I brought her a portable stove ( two burners) and a small oven that I bought at Walmart, but she says Section 8 would not allow that. But I don't know what else to do til Monday.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

There are no specific time deadlines for a repair such as this but it requires that the landlord be acting in good faith to provide the tenant with an alternate cooking source until the stove can be repaired.

.

As a landlord myself for over 26 years with Sec 8 tenants, I would opine that you have acted reasonably and have done everything that you can do the day before Thanksgiving. As long as you contact a repairman on Friday to see if they could get out to at least take a look, then you will have been acting in good faith all along.

.

While this an inconvenience, it would not make the property uninhabitable under the terms of the lease and is just one of those unfortunate things that happen in the rental business.

.

.

thanks