Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am currently being told that a friend can not live with me

Customer Question

I am currently being told that a friend can not live with me because he has a unlawful past.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Lakeshore, Fl
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No just notice to make him leave and never come back.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are making me paint inside my home or else. Then they want to inspect it .
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do you own or rent your home?

.

If you rent, are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Any restrictions in the lease about how many people can live there?

.

Who is telling you that your friend can't stay and you have to paint?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Own my Condo. No restriction. The HOA. Because he has a past record for driving without a license and anything else they could dig up under his name.
Expert:  Barrister replied 17 days ago.

Ok, if there are no restrictions in the Bylaws or CCRs about you having someone stay with you, then they legally can't force you to make the person leave. And if this is your condo that you own, they have no right to come in and tell you what to do with the inside of your dwelling unless there is some rule or Bylaw that allows this.

.

The Bylaws are the rules that govern the actions of the Board as well as the owners. They are what gives the Board the power to penalize owners for violations of the rules. So if there are no rules that state the person can't stay since they have a criminal history, and no rule that says they can tell you when to paint, you can simply ignore their demands.

.

.

thanks