Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Are sellers of a home legally required to disclose major

Customer Question

Are sellers of a home legally required to disclose major repairs needed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

By the way, as a member, you can switch to a phone call (for free) to talk through the issue. Let me know if you would like to talk on phone or continue online. If you want to speak on the phone, just provide a number where you may be reached.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

The Maryland Disclosure/Disclaimer law requires the seller, in completing the Residential Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement, to disclose any latent material defects of which the seller has actual knowledge that a buyer would not reasonably be expected to ascertain by a careful visual inspection, and that would pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the buyer or an occupant.

For the purpose of this law, a “latent defect” means a material defect that a purchaser would not reasonably be expected to discover by visual inspection of the property. A “material” defect is one that would affect the buyer’s decision to buy, the price the buyer would be willing to pay, or other terms to which a buyer would agree.