Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in NJ. My neighbor has three trees in various stages

Customer Question

I live in NJ. My neighbor has three trees in various stages of dying/decay. All are wrapped in Ivy and have live and dead branches.
Last night for the 4th time a large limb has damaged my property. Falling on the roof of my house and punching 4 holes in my roof.
I understand my insurance will cover the damage.
But Is there any way I can have her trees declared nuisances (as the tallest tree is threatening to fall on my house) and force their removal? Tried a discussion - no luck
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 16 days ago.

Yes, you can take action to force the neighbor to take down the trees by having a licensed arborist out to inspect the trees and then give you a written opinion that they are diseased/dying and need to be removed.

.

You then send the neighbor a certified letter along with a copy of the arborist's report and state that they have XX days (whatever you think is reasonable) to remove the trees or you will take further legal action.

.

If they don't take them down, then you can file a lawsuit for "private nuisance" and use your prior damages as evidence along with the report. A private nuisance is an interference with a person's enjoyment and use of his land. The law recognizes that landowners, or those in rightful possession of land, have the right to the unimpaired condition of the property and to reasonable comfort and convenience in its occupation.

.

So if their trees are damaging your property and this is likely to continue due to them dying, that is a private nuisance and you can get a judge to order her to abate the nuisance by taking the trees down.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks that helps. Hope it will not go so far
Expert:  Barrister replied 16 days ago.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. If you want to take a kind of middle of the road approach, you could have a local attorney send a "cease and desist" letter threatening to sue her for nuisance and property damages if she didn't take them down. Often a nasty letter from a local attorney will "encourage" someone to act rather than being dragged into court to lose..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much