How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are going in with our son in-law and

Customer Question

My husband and I are going in with our son in-law and daughter buying real estate for investment. What is the first step in getting all the legal issues in order.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We will also need info to find out if POA's are necessary. Our son in-law and daughter are expats in South Africa. We all be in Texas in mid December if physical presence is needed to put things in place.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  GoldLaw replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

This is a further information request so that I can provide you a proper answer to your legal question. Please continue in this same question thread.

Which country are you buying property in? USA or SA?

How do you intend buying the property? In the name of you all personally, or in the name of a partnership, or the name of a company, or in the name of a trust? Have you obtained any accounting advice on income tax, etc?

Will you be renting out the property to somebody?

Awaiting your further information.



Expert:  GoldLaw replied 5 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my information request, but not yet replied. Do you still need assistance?



Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is not a South African law question it only pertains to US law. I have decided to wait and get everything set up when we are back in America
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Ray here a Texas lawyer do you have questions I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good Morning Ray,
I will attempt again to get answers to my question since I have seen the charge for this service. We (my husband and I) are American expats that will be returning to the US shortly for an extended amount of time. We are doing our homework on what it would take to go into a partnership with son in-law and daughter, who are also American expats in South Africa. they will be staying in South Africa. The partnership will be buying real estate for investment. What are the first steps in setting up the partnership? We will be starting in the state of Texas. We are employed as Construction Managers and do travel both nationally and internationally. We have looked into an LLC and think that would be the best way to set up although we are open to suggestions. This has nothing to do with South African Law.

Related Real Estate Law Questions