Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have a boat that I just got an offer on and agreed to. I

Customer Question

I have a boat that I just got an offer on and agreed to. I co own it with my son who lives in Florida I live in Baltimore. How do I sign over the title to the perspective owner and have my son sign as well. Can all of this be done via mail?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your son's name is ***** ***** title, your son would need to sign as well and it can be done by mail. Before you sign the title over, you need to send it to your son first, as you do not want the completely signed title going through the mail. You should also get your son to sign the bill of sale.
Your alternative is have your son sign a Power of Attorney form and have it notarized in Baltimore saying you have his authority to act on his behalf in regards ***** ***** the boat (describe the boat in the PoA) and once you have the original power of attorney from your son, you can sign your son's name to the title by signing it and then writing "By your name as power of attorney" next to the title and attach a copy of the PoA to the title.
It is usually easier just to send him the title to sign and send back to you so you can sign it.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Does there have to be a notary involved anywhere in this process?

No, the title does not require a notary signature, you are signing under penalty of perjury, meaning if you falsify the title you could be charged with the crime of perjury.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Rgr that and thanks sir
Thank you for your reply.