Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My brother and I are listed on a deed together on my parents

Customer Question

My brother and I are listed on a deed together on my parents house. He is in very poor health and hospice is taking care of him. He started very rigid chemo treatments in Febu
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes. They recorded the deed after he did a quick deed and put his wife on the deed and he was on heavy medication
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's about it.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I see that you posted some details about your situation, but I don't actually see a legal question...

.

If you can post your question, I will try to help.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I need to know if it is illegal for my brother to quick deed his half of my parents so to his wife when he is on his death bed and on narcotic pain medication. This house was left to us and they did not want her to end up with part of the house. Is this legal? Do I have and recourse on this? Pl
Expert:  Barrister replied 16 days ago.

I need to know if it is illegal for my brother to quick deed his half of my parents so to his wife when he is on his death bed and on narcotic pain medication.

.

No, it is not illegal for him to do so. However it could be challenged as a fraudulent conveyance if he was forced to do so or was so under medication that he couldn't understand what he was doing. But if he is still living and this is something that he wants to do, then there is nothing legally that you could do to prevent him from making his wife a part owner of his portion of the home.

.

So if you go and talk to him and he confirms that this is what he wants to do, then you don't have a legal recourse here. But if he says this is not what he wanted, then you need to record him saying that so that it could be later used in a challenge to the validity of the deed from him adding his wife.

.

But if you were both listed on the deed as "tenants in common" and he is legally married, his spouse would inherit his share of the house anyway if he passes without a will or leaves it to her in his will.

.

.

thanks