Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

To whom it may concern,. I live in a condo building in

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,
My name is*****
I live in a condo building in Chicago. I just received a letter from the association that because of constructions they are closing everyone's balconies in the building for 5 months. That's the only "window" I have in my condo. So that means that I can't get fresh air in my place for 21 weeks?!! I find that very upsetting and I was wondering if that's even legal. That's why I'm writing to you,to find out if there is anything I can do to about that.
Thank you for your time and consideration!
Best,
Kitti C.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 23 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, because of the design layouts of these units in some instances, if repairs are necessary and temporary closure must occur for repairs, I am afraid it is not illegal. They have the right to make repairs and if it is necessary to close the balcony for that time, the association has the right to do so. Legally, I am sorry, but they do have the right to make the repairs and for safety if that means closing the balconies they can do so.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.