Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I have an offer in to purchase 2.63 acres but title search

Customer Question

I have an offer in to purchase 2.63 acres but title search revealed owner had bankruptcy several years ago and a car company placed a lien on his land for 12,500.00. He does not have money to pay this off but wants me to give him $200.00 to satisfy the lien and then do a deal where he will get 11,800.00 and he says the car company will get the 200.00 and the lien will be lifted--our real estate rep says she will not be involved in this deal.......can you help me on this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes, this is a court ordered judgement from the car company
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I just feel this deal might be suspicious and I could be left with having to pay the entire lien because this is not being honest about anything....
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This seems very suspicious. Liens do not work that way. Essentially, someone has to pay the car company either the whole amount, or, whatever they will accept to take the lien off.

If he can get the money, then why does he simply not pay them off? What he is proposing makes no sense at all, and you will be stuck with the lien. This is what the real estate agent is not interested in being involved - this is a shady deal which will leave you stuck with the lien, and looking for someone to blame.

I would consider avoiding this matter until the lien is LIFTED. Otherwise, you will not get clear title for the property.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.