Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I am the conservator for my brother. He is currently in a

Customer Question

i am the conservator for my brother. He is currently in a nursing home and has a reverse mortgage. He resides in Kansas The reverse mortgage had been in default for failure to pay taxes and insurance, I paid the balance due in full and have receipts. the loan servicing was taken over from Champion mortgage to Novad management (who manages for HUD)
The property is being rehabbed and prepared for sale. We have authorization from the court to sell his property. Novad claims we are in default and sent someone over to take over property, they claim since my brother is no longer in the home they can take over and secure property. The house is going on the market for sale this next week. They are giving me the run around about finding the champion file to verify that payment has been made. It is my understanding that a reverse mortgage allows the owner to be out of the home for up to 12 months while in a nursing home. Who do we complain to and what is our best course of action with this company.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 16 days ago.

Are you saying that you paid the balance of mortgage in full, or just the back taxes?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I paid the amount that the mortgage company had paid on his behalf. That was why he was in default.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 15 days ago.

If you are a court-appointed conservator for your brother, just send a copy of your court appointment to Novad with a letter stating that you have listed the property for sale. Send them a copy of the listing on the multiple listing service in your County. I can't tell you if your mortgage contains a 12 month absence clause were not. Reverse mortgage holders are usually happy to have the family sell the home voluntarily rather than incur the fees and delay of foreclosure.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.