Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My HOA wants to kick me out of the property because my

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: My HOA wants to kick me out of the property because my credit score dropped a few points due to a death in my family in July. I've been living in the property for 3 years almost 4 and I've always paid my rent on time. I signed a lease renewal in September (my landlord likes me and she agreed to renew) Now they are saying that my lease will be terminated. Is this legal? and how should I convince them?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Miami, FL
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: what kind of paperwork? Court?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No paperwork. Only that I signed a new lease with my landlord in September and a letter stating that I cant no longer live here.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If the homeowner has signed a new lease with you, but the HOA wants to terminate the lease, the homeowner is the one that needs to file lawsuit against the HOA for interfering in her relationship with you. The HOA cannot terminate your lease because your credit score dropped. There is no provision in the law for that kind of thing being used to kick a Tenant out who is complying with the terms of her lease and paying the rent. In any event, you cannot be forced out without a Court Order no matter what the HOA says.

Best wishes,