Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am in an apartment in Torrance, and I have discussed

Customer Question

I am in an apartment in Torrance, and I have discussed weather stripping for the front door, which has a gap around it, so that my space heater doesn't heat up my apartment. I am so cold that it hurts. I am a senior citizen and am going to have a hip replacement (arthroplasty) coming up, so I have had very little sleep due to the pain and nothing has been done except I was told the weather stripping has been ordered. I don't know how much longer I can tolerate the cold?? I don't know what to do?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Torrance, CA 90505
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The manager told me via email that the weather stripping has been ordered
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 17 days ago.

Hello. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

By the way, as a member, you can switch to a phone call (for free) to talk through the issue. Let me know if you would like to talk on phone or continue online. If you want to speak on the phone, just provide a number where you may be reached.

Expert:  Loren replied 17 days ago.

Is there a problem with the HVAC that makes the apartment so cold? Do you not have heat?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 17 days ago.

As we discussed, check the lease to see if there is a provision for the landlord to provide weather stripping. If not, then the landlord has no legal obligation to do so and it would probably be quicker to arrange for a friend to pick up the stripping to put on the door yourself.

Thank you for using JA. Best of luck to you.