WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

1998 i was divorced and split the equity in my home. i

Customer Question

1998 i was divorced and split the equity in my home. i signed a special warranty dead and she signed a second lien and warranty dead to return the property to me if she never paid me. $300 a month was the loan payment .
she never made a payment so the documents say i can foreclose on the house . appoint a new trustee if i want and then buy the home at the foreclosure sale for the highest bid and the money would be put into my account.problem is that we got back together and she never paid me a penny.
she is the borrower on a reverse mortgage she died and i was suspose to be put into a surviving spouse program.being i never acted on my lien the mortgage company telling me that it is no good now at that was 17 years ago and it would have had to be acted on within 10 years so i lose $210,000
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 21 days ago.

No you don't lose because the 10 years starts on the date that you discover that you were supposed to be put into the surviving spouse program and were not put in. That is the starting date, so you are in good shape after all!

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.