How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 19015
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a naturalized US citizen (since 2016) living in

Customer Question

I am a naturalized US citizen (since 2016) living in California. My wife left for India with my son in May 2011, and has been living there since then. Her and my son's Green cards are now invalid since she was out of the country for more than a year.
We were recently served by a quitclaim deed from our neighbor's attorney for a parking easement that they own and that we had parking rights to. I am planning to sign it. However I am not on speaking terms with my spouse, and she will not sign the document if I ask her to. The document needs both our signatures as both our names are ***** ***** title.
What are my options here? Is there a way I can get this document signed on her behalf?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, unless she previously gave you Power of Attorney, you cannot sign the document on her behalf. You have no choice but to reply to the Attorney and let the Attorney know of your situation. If the Attorney wishes, he can obtain a Court Order dispensing of your wife's signature on the document.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.