Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We are retired handicap couple from the military our income

Customer Question

We are retired handicap couple from the military our income is low in comparation with others we do not get yearly income incrieses if we do are very little. is there some type of relief on Townhome assessments monthly fees for elderly we are payig $401.60 monthly fees and in two years the Homeowners Association increased to 480 without consulting with the owners in this are in San Dieggo California. Is there a special relief for eterants retired military disable in San diego California? In ther places the city offeres special prices and discounts for seniors .?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in? What confuses you?
Customer: We are in San Diego California. Just asking if as seniors we do not have to pay or we pay only a percentage of what the Association is asking for??? any relief? brak?our
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No we just received a letter that effective January 2017 the monthly assessment will be 480.00 instead of $401.00 in 2015 they also increased from $346 to $401.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If there is nothing in the law that protects the elderly handicap retired military in paying arbitrary monthly assesments fees to the home owners association them can we ask to set up some type the lower amount or to relief us from paying?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT WE SENT TO THE ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Thanks Ron for your prompt response and understanding, this is very nice of you. We suggest you show the Board all the emails I am providing including this one concerning this sensitive issue. There is also another sensitive and sad situation currently affecting our lives, our health and our finances due to sickness currently affecting my wife Martha, and as you know the costs of these treatments are high. She was diagnosed with breast cancer early this year. So far with God’ help she is responding very well to the treatmentsThank youJames and MarthaFrom: Ron Ficalora [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 5:14 PM
To: 'martha ortiz'
Subject: RE: 3707 Balboa Terrace Unit A-JAMES AND MARTHA ORTIZ Monthly assessmentI am happy to share this email with the Board for their reply. The next meeting will be in January, 2017. An date has not yet been confirmed.Thank you,
Ron.
Ronald F. Ficalora, Jr., CMCA®, AMS®
Senior Association Manager
The Helm Management Co.*****| La Mesa, CA 91941
P:(###) ###-####x11
F:(###) ###-####helmmanagement.comFrom: martha ortiz [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 5:10 PM
To: 'Ron Ficalora'
Subject: RE: 3707 Balboa Terrace Unit A-JAMES AND MARTHA ORTIZ Monthly assessment
Importance: HighRonThanks for your prompt response. The current fees are set aside in our current budget we never been late since we moved 2012 even when they were raised in 2014 or 2015 from $340 to $401. Can we still pay the same amount until we received a government increase?I really do not know how many retired people live in the area. We are seniors retired military our monthly payments are very low than the people not retired from military yet. The senior low rate increase should be established even for the monthly assessments.In a lot of places there are consideration and special rate for seniors that could be established in this living area and place and your understanding will be greatly appreciated.ThanksMartha and JamesFrom: Ron Ficalora [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 10:25 AM
To: 'martha ortiz'
Subject: RE: 3707 Balboa Terrace Unit A-JAMES AND MARTHA ORTIZ Monthly assessmentThe fees are set by the Board, and will be due on a monthly basis per the letter.How would you propose that the Board offer special consideration? They cannot reduce fees for a specific unit or individual. All owners pay the same monthly fee.Thank you,
Ron.
Ronald F. Ficalora, Jr., CMCA®, AMS®
Senior Association Manager
P:(###) ###-####x11
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 10:20 AM
To:***@******.***
Subject: FW: 3707 Balboa Terrace Unit A-JAMES AND MARTHA ORTIZ Monthly assessmentRonI called your office this week and I was told to contact you or the Board of Directors for Pacific Racquet Club on this monthly dues increase. This week we received a letter dated November 4, 2016 on the approved increase in the monthly assessment by the Board of Directors for Pacific Racquet Club Townhomes Homeowners Association from $401.50 to $480.00 per unit effective January 1, 2017. This imposed and excessive monthly assessment increase has a negative monetary impact to our limited monthly budget. As you all know we are military retired couple and we do not get retired increases or bonuses every year from the government to our monthly income pay retirement. We are asking if there are some type of relief. exception and consideration within the rules and regulations on monthly assessments applicable to our situation?. How can you help us?.We respectfully ***** ***** understanding, help, support and consideration to this matter.ThanksJames and Martha
Cell(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for checking into it.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not see the response to my question.My question was given first when I was ask for the enrollment. What you see on this page is just for reference only..